Last day of application: 31/12/2015
Day of decision: 20/01/2016
Urgent grants enable scientists to address recently identified research issues. For example, this may be an extreme event, such as storm-felled forests, defects in building construction resulting in collapse due to snow build-up, emission of environmentally hazardous substances following a disaster, or other specific circumstances that necessitate a study to be initiated immediately. Applications for urgent grants may also be submitted to make use of material that is available temporarily.
Please, observe that Formas Handbook is not relevant for this call.
The funding that can be applied for
An urgent grant is awarded for a maximum of one year. The urgent nature of the project must be specifically explained and substantiated in the application. The research issue must lie within a Formas responsibility area: Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning. The grant may be used to support the salary of researchers, doctoral students and technical personnel, as well as to support operational costs (for example disposable items and travel costs). The grant may not be used to support participation at conferences or publication in magazines/journals.
Guidelines for funding amounts
The guideline amount for funding is related to the cost of carrying out the project for one year. The applicant should clearly specify the costs of carrying out the urgent project in relation to the work plan for the project.
Who can apply
The grant administrator may only be a Swedish university, university college, research institute or government agency with a research mandate. A Doctoral Degree is required in order to apply for funding to organise meetings.
What the application must contain
- Project relevance and objectives
- Project description
- Societal relevance and communication plan
Evaluation of the application
Formas evaluates applications for urgent grants. Where relevant the application is also evaluated by external reviewers. Evaluation of straightforward cases can often be completed within six weeks, while applications that require external evaluation take longer to complete.
Applications are evaluated according to their urgent nature and according to the criteria for scientific quality (research question, methods and execution, scientific competence) and for societal benefit (the societal benefit of the research question and communication with stakeholders/users).
Decisions about grant awards are not subject to appeal.
Application in Prisma
A Formas urgent grant can be applied for at any time during the year.
The application may be written in English or Swedish. If the application requires external review a Swedish project description may be translated into English by Formas.
- The month stated for beginning the project can be set no earlier that one month after the submission of the application.
- The total project duration may be 12 months and the project may span two calender years, depending on the intended starting date.
- Research programme - project relevance and objectives
The urgent nature of the project must be especially described under this heading. The research questions must lie within a Formas responsibility area: Environment, Agricultural Sciences and Spatial Planning. The objectives and purpose of the project must also be described here, as well as a background description containing an overview of the research area, including key references.
- Research programme - project description
The work plan and structure of the project must be described under this heading, which means a description of the theory, methods and performance. State also if any specific fundamental equipment is required for the project and if this is available or if funding is intended to be sought for this. Be thorough in considering gender aspects where relevant.
- Research programme - societal relevance and communication plan
Provide a description of the societal benefit of the project under this heading, including a plan for how communication with stakeholders and end users will take place.
Describe briefly the national and international collaborations that are relevant for the project. Confirm in advance that international agreements and regulations will be complied with and state if any ethical considerations have been addressed.
- Salaries, including social-security contributions (in whole numbers of SEK) for each project participant.
- State the proportion of activity in the project. This demonstrates if the project participants contribute with services in-kind or have other funding for performing the project.
- Specify operating costs and costs for premises (in whole numbers of SEK).
- State indirect costs directly in the project budget (in whole numbers of SEK) when additional costs have been entered. Indirect costs are considered to be overhead costs (OH-costs). If costs other than OH-costs are included this must be stated in the project description.
- Select the subject area and add a subheading.
- Select at least one SCB code with two sub-levels to create the combined code (a maximum of three combined SCB codes can be selected).
- Select at least one, and at most three, key word(s) that describe the project.
- In general the application does not require appendices. If the applicant believes that the project must be described using figures, tables/images and text that are difficult to describe in the project information, appendices may be uploaded. The attachment may not be larger than 4 MB.
Grant administrating organisation
- Select your grant administrating organisation and add the project department or institute. Read more about the Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations.
- Approved grant administrating organisations are listed in a selectable menu field in Prisma. If your educational institution is not included in the list, contact your institution as it must create an organisation account in Prisma.
- When your application is registered your administrating organisation will automatically receive your application for approval. The administrating organisation then has seven days to assign your application to an authorized representative for signature.
- No choice available. The review panel is selected by Formas.
- Participating researchers (previously co-applicants) and participating administrators are invited to participate in the application via Prisma. Important considerations when inviting other participants are:
- The participant his/herself must be registered in Prisma.
- The email address of the participant must be the same address registered for the participant in Prisma.
- Information relevant to the application is connected from the applicant's profile. No separate CV PDF-file is uploaded for this application.
The applicant must however link information from his/her profile to the application by clicking Edit and connecting
- Employment - a maximum of 3 employment positions can be linked to the application
- Postdoctoral positions - a maximum of 3 postdoctoral positions can be linked to the application
- Research exchanges - not relevant for urgent grants
- Research career breaks - not required for this application
- Education - Research education with examination at doctoral degree level is a requirement for the applicant
- Additional merits should only be included in relation to relevance in confirming the competence of the applicant to lead the project.
Publication list: A maximum of 10 publications for the applicant and participating researchers.
Formas General instructions for applicants to Formas
Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations
Formas instructions for using Prisma
Prisma user support manual
Apply in Prisma
Please, observe that Formas Handbook is not relevant for this call.
For questions about the content of the call or about how to complete the application forms:
Responsible Senior Research Officer
Kristina Laurell, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8 775 40 59
Administrative assistance, Senior Research Administrator
Berit Lundquist, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8 775 40 46
Prisma IT support