Conferences and workshops
Last day of application: 30/11/2016
Day of decision: 09/02/2017
Formas announces a grant funding call to support the costs of organizing scientific conferences and workshops within Formas’ areas of responsibility. Formas prioritizes meetings held in Sweden, meetings where Formas’ areas of responsibility are central, and interdisciplinary meetings.
Funding that can be applied for
The grant may be used to cover organizational costs, for example meeting venue, when organizing conferences and workshops (below called "meetings"). The grant can also be used to cover travel and accommodation costs for a limited number of, primarily foreign, speakers at conferences and workshop participants. Salary costs for organizers and invited speakers at conferences/workshop participants, are not covered by the call. Overhead costs are not covered and the grant may not be used to support registration costs for conference participants.
Size of grant and project duration
The guideline amounts for grant funding are a maximum of SEK 200 000 for a larger conference (more than 200 participants) and a maximum of SEK 30 000 for a smaller workshop (fewer than 30 participants).
The project can be a maximum of 10 months and can at the earliest start on 23 February 2017, two weeks after decision has been taken by Formas' Scientific Council. The meeting has to take place within the project duration.
Who can apply?
A doctoral degree is not a requirement when applying for funding to organize meetings. The grant administrating organization may only be a Swedish university, University College, or a governmental agency with a research mandate.
What the application must contain
- Information about the meeting and its scientific purposes and how these contribute to research within Formas' areas of responsibility. Here also describe to what extent the meetings will concern these areas.
- A description of the scientific committee, including titles, organization and relevant competences. Also describe the organizational committee and the contributions of the different members.
- A list of invited speakers, including titles, organization and relevant competence. Also describe why they are relevant for the purpose of the meeting.
- A description of the value of the meeting for communication, collaboration and novelty within the research area(s).
- The anticipated number of participants.
- A time and place of the meeting, as well as budget and the CV of the applicant(s).
Application in Prisma
Describe the project under the following headings in Prisma:
A brief and clear description of the content and purpose of the meeting.
Information about the scientific purpose of the meeting and how it contributes to research within Formas' areas of responsibility
Describe the scientific purpose of the meeting and how it contributes to research within Formas' areas of responsibility. Also describe to what extent the meeting will concern these areas. Make sure to consider gender aspects where relevant.
A description of the scientific committee and the organisational committee
List the members of the scientific committee and the organizational committee: State name, title, organisation and a brief summary of the competences of the members and how they contribute to the meeting.
Invited speakers at the conference/participants in the workshop, and their contribution
List the invited speakers: State name, title, organisation and a brief summary of competences and why they are relevant for the meeting.
A description of the value of the conference for communication, collaboration and novelty for the research area
Make sure to consider gender aspects where relevant.
The time and place of the meeting and the anticipated number of participants
Summarize briefly in a list.
Give the amount that is applied for from Formas divided into running costs and premises costs. Running costs can for instance be traveling expenses for invited speakers and other costs related to organizing meetings such as food and beverages. In the field description, specify the expenses.
Formas does not grant overhead in this call, nor salary costs for organizers or invited speakers at conferences and participants in workshops. Costs for participation, such as registration fees, are not covered by this call.
Select the subject area and add a subheading. Then select at least one SCB code with two sub-levels to create the combined code (a maximum of three combined SCB codes can be selected). Finally, select at least one, and at most three, key word(s) that describe the project.
Upload an appendix with a detailed budget describing how costs have been calculated and distributed across different financial sources. Show the entire budget for the conference in this budget description. Under the Budget tab in Prisma enter the sum being applied for from Formas (see more information under the heading Budget).
Grant administrating organisations
Select your grant administrating organisation and add the project department or institute. Read more about the Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations below.
No choice available. The review panel is selected by Formas.
Participating researchers and participating administrators are invited to participate in the application via Prisma.
- Employment positions - at least one employment position must be entered
- Postdoctoral positions - a maximum of three postdoctoral positions may be entered, but are not mandatory as a research education is not a requirement.
- Research exchange positions - not relevant for this call.
- Research career breaks - not required for this application.
- Education - a research education is not a requirement for this call.
- Additional merits may be included if relevant to confirming the competence of the applicant to organise the meeting.
A maximum of five publications for the applicant and participating researchers can be uploaded, but are not required.
Formas reviews the applications for conferences and workshops. Where relevant the applications are also evaluated by external reviewers. The applicant will receive a statement containing assessments of the different criteria and an overall assessment.
The application is evaluated according to:
- The composition of the scientific committee and the degree of independence from the meeting organisers. This is evaluated in relation to the size of the meeting.
- The international aspect of the meeting, in relation to its scientific purpose(s).
- The meeting's explicitly expressed contribution to advancement and novelty within the research area. The explicitly expressed value of the meeting for communication and collaboration within the area.
Formas prioritises meetings held in Sweden, meetings where Formas areas of responsibility are central, and multidisciplinary meetings.
When funding is awarded for a meeting it is expected that the organiser announces the meeting in a suitable manner and clearly acknowledges that Formas has provided funding for the meeting. Decision is expected to be taken by Formas Scientific council on 9 February 2017 and will be announced on Formas.se the day after the meeting at the latest. Decisions about grant awards are not subject to appeal.
Reporting of projects awarded funding
Each project awarded funding must submit a project report to Formas in the form of a financial summary in compliance with the decision. Read more about this in General instructions, below.
Formas General instructions
Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations
Formas instructions for using Prisma
Prisma user support
Apply for grants (in Prisma)
Lisa Granelli, Senior Research Officer, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8-775 40 68
Kenneth Nilsson, Research Administrator, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8-775 40 40