Conferences and workshops
Last day of application: 12/01/2016
Day of decision: 23/02/2016
Formas announces a grant funding call to support the costs of organising scientific conferences and workshops (called “meetings” below) within the areas of responsibility of Formas. The meeting must be of high scientific quality, which must be ensured by a scientific committee. Meetings organized in Sweden are prioritized.
The funding that can be applied for
The grant may be used to cover travel and accommodation costs for a limited number of participants, first and foremost participants from other countries, as well as organisational costs (e.g. meeting venue). The grant may not be used to support overhead costs and salary costs for organizers or for invited speakers/participants. The grant may not be used to support registration costs for conference participants.
Guidelines for funding amounts
The guideline amounts for grant funding are a maximum of SEK 200 000 for a larger conference (more than 200 participants) and a maximum of SEK 30 000 for a smaller workshop (fewer than 30 participants).
Who can apply
The grant administrating organisation may only be a Swedish university, university college, and research institute or government agency with a research mandate. A doctoral degree is not required in order to apply for funding to organise meetings.
What the application must contain
• Information about the scientific purpose of the meeting.
• The preliminary programme for the meeting.
• A description of the scientific committee.
• A list of the invited speakers.
• A description of the value of the conference for communication, collaboration and novelty within the area.
• The anticipated number of participants.
• The time and place of the meeting.
Evaluation of the application
Formas reviews the applications for conferences and workshops. Where relevant the applications are also evaluated by external reviewers. The application is evaluated according to:
- The composition of the scientific committee and the degree of independence from the meeting organizers.
- The international context of the conference.
- The explicitly expressed advancement and novelty of the conference within the research area.
- The explicitly expressed value of the conference for communication and collaboration within the area.
- The explicitly expressed interdisciplinarity of the conference.
When funding is awarded for a meeting it is expected that a representative of Formas is invited to attend the meeting. It is also expected that the arranger announces the meeting in a suitable manner and clearly acknowledges that Formas has provided funding for the event. Decisions about grant awards are not subject to appeal.
Note that the Formas Handbook 2015 does not apply for this call.
Application in Prisma
The application system Prisma is used for this call. Below you find guidelines to make it easier when the application is entered in Prisma. You find a link to Prisma at the bottom of the page and also a link to the user support for Prisma.
- The project duration may be a maximum of 10 months with earliest project start after the decision meeting in February.
- Description of the scientific committee: The description of the scientific committee must include name, title, organisational affiliation and a brief summary of the competence of the individual members of the committee. Note that the scientific committee is not the same as the organising committee or group arranging the meeting.
- List of the invited speakers: State the name, title, organisational affiliation and a brief summary of the competence of each of the invited speakers.
- State the amount that is being applied for from Formas, divided into running costs and costs for premises. Running costs may for example be costs for invited speakers and other costs related to the conference. In this field a description is stated of which type of cost this is.
- Note that indirect costs including overhead costs must not be entered, as Formas will not grant funding for overhead costs in this call.
- These are stated only when relevant to the organisation of the meeting. Read more in the Formas General instructions for applicants (link at the bottom of the page).
- Select the subject area and add a subheading. Then select at least one SCB code with two sub-levels to create the combined code (a maximum of three combined SCB codes can be selected). Finally, select at least one, and at most three, key word(s) that describe the project.
- Upload an appendix containing the provisional programme. The appendix may be structured as a table, continuous text, image or equivalent.
- Upload an appendix with a detailed budget describing how costs have been calculated and distributed across different financial sources. Show the entire budget for the conference in this budget description. Under the Budget tab in Prisma enter the sum being applied for from Formas (see more information under the heading Budget).
Grant administrating organisations
- Select your grant administrating organisation and add the project department or institute. Read more about the Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations.
- Approved grant administrating organisations are listed in a selectable menu field in Prisma. If your educational institution is not included in the list, contact your institution as it must create an organisation account in Prisma.
- When your application has been registered your administrating organisation will automatically receive your application for approval. The administrating organisation then has seven days to assign your application to an authorized representative for signature.
- No choice available. The review panel is selected by Formas.
- Participating researchers (previously co-applicants) and participating administrators are invited to participate in the application via Prisma. Important considerations when inviting other participants are:
- The participant his/herself must be registered in Prisma.
- The email address of the participant must be the same address registered for the participant in Prisma.
- Employment positions - at least one employment position must be entered
- Postdoctoral positions - a maximum of three postdoctoral positions may be entered, but are not mandatory as a research education is not a requirement.
- Research exchange positions - not relevant for this call.
- Research career breaks - not required for this application.
- Education - a research education is not a requirement for this call.
- Additional merits may be included if relevant to confirming the competence of the applicant to organise the meeting.
- A maximum of five publications for the applicant and participating researchers can be uploaded, but are not required.
Formas instructions for using Prisma
Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations
Formas General instructions for applicants to Formas
Prisma User Support Apply in Prisma
Responsible Senior Research Officer:
Hanna Ridefelt, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8 775 40 25
Cellphone number: +46 (0)73 646 27 20
Administrative assistance, Senior Research Administrator:
Kenneth Nilsson, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8 775 40 40
Cellphone number: +46 (0)72 718 94 38
Prisma IT support