Last day of application: 11/01/2017
Day of decision: 04/04/2017
Decision published. Formas announces a grant funding call of 2 MSEK to support communication projects. The subject of the project must lie within Formas areas of responsibility and a maximum of 500 000 SEK will be funded per project. A PhD is not required as a main applicant, but one or more researchers need to be involved in the project group, or the project needs a scientific committee.
Decision list 04 04 2017 (Only in Swedish)
Funding that can be applied for
Communication projects can be development of popular science publications, exhibitions, conferences, seminars, film and video production, digital production or other popular science activities. The subject and communication channel should be in focus.
Size of grant and project duration
The maximum budget that can be applied for is 500 000 SEK. Funding can be used to cover costs related to the communication project, salary funding and for external contractor services. Formas does not allow grants for operational costs for ongoing communication activities, or for production of teaching materials.
Applications for project funding are for 2017, with a maximum project duration of 1 year. If a project will start late in the year, the period for use of funds can be prolonged. After the decision of Formas scientific council, the funds will be distributed as a one time sum.
Who can apply?
The project leader does not need to have a PhD, but one or more researchers have to be attached to the project, or the project needs a scientific committee. The involvement of a communicator or similar competence is recommended.
The grant may only be administered by a Swedish university, university college, research institute or authorities with research assignments. The project is carried out by the persons the grant administrating organisations chose, within or without the organisation.
What the application must contain
The application must contain a clear description of the project:
- Research tonic/theme of the communication project
- Aim and purpose
- The choice of target group(s) and channel for the communication project
- The research and the researcher(s)/research committee involved in the project
- Communication plan and communication competence
- How the results of the project cam be followed
Application in Prisma
Describe the project under the following headlines in Prisma:
A brief and clear description of the project's content and aim.
Project description – relevance and aim of the project
Describe the research subject and the theme of the communication project. Describe why the project is urgent, that is its purpose and aim. It is also important to describe how the research subject ant the project concern one or more of Formas' areas of responsibility. Make sure to consider gender aspects where relevant.
Project description – communication channel
Present and discuss the chosen channel for the communication project, and the target group(s). Also state if some specific basic equipment is needed for the project, that is available or which funding is fought for. Make sure to consider gender aspects where relevant.
Project description – researcher/scientific committee, communicator and communication plan
Describe the research that the project concerns and the researchers or scientific committee that are part of the project. Give a brief summary of the scientific competences (publications are given separately, see below) of the researchers involved. Describe the communication plan and the communication competence involved in the project.
- Salaries, including social-security contributions (in whole numbers of SEK) for each project participant. Pensioners cannot be awarded salary funding.
- State the percentage of activity in the project. This demonstrates if the project participants contribute with services in-kind or have other funding for performing the project.
- Operating costs.
- State indirect costs directly in the project budget (in whole numbers of SEK) when additional costs have been entered. Indirect costs are considered to be overhead costs (OH-costs). If costs other than OH-costs are included this must be stated in the project description.
Ethics are only addressed when relevant to the project.
Select the subject area and add a subheading. Then select at least one SCB code with two sub-levels to create the combined code (a maximum of three combined SCB codes can be selected). Finally, select at least one, and at most three, key word(s) that describe the project.
Generally, no appendices are necessary for the application. Any figures, tables or images can be uploaded as an appendix. An appendix cannot be larger than 4 MB.
Grant administrating organisations
Select your grant administrating organisation and add the project department or institute. Read more about the Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations below.
No choice available. The review panel is selected by Formas.
Participating researchers and participating administrators are invited to participate in the application via Prisma.
The following information must be added to the application, it is collected from the applicant's profile in Prisma:
- Education – it is mandatory to provide information about education qualifications but research studies at doctoral degree level is not a requirement for application eligibility.
- Employment - a maximum of 3 employment positions can be linked to the application.
- Additional merits – provide information about merits that verify communication skills and competence to lead the project.
- Postdoctoral positions – not relevant for this call.
- Research exchange positions – not relevant for this call.
- Research career breaks – not relevant for this call.
A maximum of 10 scientific and popular science publications for the applicant and participating researchers.
Communication project applications will be evaluated by a review panel composed of experienced communicators and experts within Formas' areas of responsibility. Applications will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- the relevance of the project in relation to the stated target groups
- scientific quality
- level of current research relevance
- communicative effectiveness
- the possibility to carry out the project
The call for communication project applications takes place twice per year. An application will not be reviewed more than once per year. All applications with formal errors will be rejected.
Formas scientific council is expected to reach a decision on this call in March 2017. The decision will be publicized on Formas.se on the following day at the latest. Grant award decisions cannot be appealed.
All project leaders will receive a written statement as feedback from the review panel. This statement will contain:
- A grade for each criteria
- An overall grade
- A brief written comment
Reporting of projects awarded funding
Each project awarded funding must submit a project report to Formas in the form of a financial summary in compliance with the decision. Read more about this in General instructions for applicants to Formas, below.
Formas General instructions
Formas requirements for grant administrating organisations
Formas instructions for using Prisma
Prisma user support
Apply for grants (in Prisma)
Lisa Granelli, Senior Research Officer, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8-775 40 68
Kenneth Nilsson, Research Administrator, Formas
Telephone: +46 (0)8 775 40 40